Today we had our first “Town Hall” meeting where members of our SweetOps community (slack.cloudposse.com) got together on a Zoom conference call to talk shop.
Remember to vote when we should have our next call.
There were a few shared pain points by members.
- Keeping modules up to date is tedious, especially in busy environments where modules are released frequently. We wish there was a way to identify out of date modules and easily update those module references. Erik mentioned that he submitted a “Feature Request” for Dependabot to support HCL. Please 👍 if you think this would be awesome!
- Loren mentioned that using Open Source in Govcloud is difficult because Govcloud lags way behind the commercial AWS cloud in features. For example, EC2 instance tags cannot be set on launch. Other times, API endpoint URLs just don't work because they've been hardcoded to the ones used by the commercial cloud offering.
- Erik mentioned that OAuth2 Proxy appears to be an abandoned project. With over 90+ open pull requests, broken OpenID Connect support and no new releases in over a year, maybe it's time for a new maintainer. Apparently, others have suggested this too.
A number of technologies came up in our discussions
- Atlantis – Continuous Delivery for Terraform
https://www.runatlantis.io/ – commercial offering may be in the works
- Bitly OAuth2 Proxy – BeyondCorp style Identity Aware Proxy
- Geodesic – base image & toolkit for cloud automation (works with WSL)
- Probot – GitHub bot for automation of Pull Requests and Issues
- Terrafile – Declarative file for downloading terraform modules
- Terrible – Automating Terraform with Ansible (proved to be a “terrible” idea)
- Test Kitchen for Terraform
- Bats – Bash Automated Testing Framework
- Dependabot – Get Pull Requests to update package dependencies or Docker base images. Love it.
- Pull Reminders – Get Slack notifications/reminders for Pull Requests; we use this everyday at Cloud Posse & love it.
- TerraHub – Managed Continuous Delivery of Terraform
- Doodle – Collaborative Calendar Scheduling
- “GitOps: A Path to More Self-service IT” (2018-07-09)
- Hold these “Town Hall” meetings more often (perhaps weekly) and at different times so that we can include members in all geographies and time zones.
- Ensure we record and publish the next call